Stella Mines located between DeKalb Junction and Hermon on Route 17 (De Kalb
Junction-Russell Road) became the largest producer of pyrites in New York
State. Between 1904 and 1920 it supported Stellaville and produced more than
500,000 tons of ore concentrate. The mines continued until 1920 when practically pure
sulphur became available from Gulf Coast deposits in Texas, at which point
the town closed.